Saturday 27 July 2013

Checking out the market

I'm aware that there are a LOT of people out there making cards and other papercrafts for sale. I figure this means 2 things:

1. Loads of people to share ideas with and create a supportive network
2. Competition

So far people in these circles are proving to be remarkably friendly and willing to share their ideas. Its amazing what I've already found on YouTube in terms of tutorials for various techniques and on blogs by way of instructions and measurements for making particular types of cards. I've learned loads this way already.

I've also been paying attention to handmade cards that are on sale in local shops and I've been impressed on the whole by the quality of them but I've also found a few examples where things aren't quite right (wonky embellishments, inaccurate cutting etc.) and it makes me think it is probably very difficult to keep up very high standards of product when you are producing enough to supply a shop.

A lot of handmade cards seem to sell online rather than in shops and I wonder as well if this is because of the quantities that would have to be produced to keep bigger shops happy - and presumably people are making less profit this way as well because the shop takes a cut?

It's made me think a lot about how I might work this if I am going to start selling. A few things currently on my must-bear-in-mind list:

  • how much profit should I be looking to make per card? 
  • what cut is taken by various sellers (includes both physical and online shops)
  • what is a reasonable price to charge for a handmade card?
  • the more complicated cards are the more interesting and impressive ones - but also the more expensive to produce - are they going to sell for a higher price? Are they worth the time and cost to produce? 
  • what kinds of cards catch people's attention? there is a lot out there to chose from already!
If anyone has any comments on any of these questions I'd love to hear them. Or if you have more questions along these lines that I should add to my list at this stage do let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment